|Bearing in Tube|
- E Coat or overspray or curing
|Thermal Expansion:||Due to:
- Dissimilar materials
- Component misalignment
|Solution:||a Tolerance Ring|
|Benefits:||- Compensation for out of round conditions
- Rapid, low cost assembly
- Wider dimensional tolerance of mating diameters
- Compensation for small amounts of misalignment of up to 1/2° draft
- Infinite rotational indexing of parts prior to assembly
- Elimination of machined features such as Keys, d-shafts, clip grooves,
threads, Pins and Splines
- Compensation for thermal expansion between mating materials
- No need to worry about over spray or masking
Tolerance Rings are normally a few inches in
diameter and are used to join cylindrical parts.
Then came a request from Nicholson Forest Products Equipment Group, Sidney, British Columbia to help mount a thin section bearing in their debarking machine. Nicholson is a world leader in providing machinery for the log processing industry capable of handing logs up to 44 inches in diameter.
The bearing mount application required a ring that would be measured in feet not inches. The answer was to provide Nicholson with 150-ft coils, of custom high quality spring steel corrugated strip. They could then create a custom sized ring. The ring would measure from two to four feet in diameter as required for their bearing sizes.
The Tolerance Ring allows for wider tolerance ranges as well as compensating for a minor out-of-roundness before the bearing is clamped into position. During operation, it allows for thermal growth between the bearing and housing as the logs speed though the debarking process. The tolerance ring also acts as an aid in absorbing vibration.
USA TOLERANCE RINGS
85 Route 31 North, Pennington, New Jersey 08534